Friday, July 29, 2005

A couple of challenging exercises

Enough criticism, time for some practice. One of the pitfalls that many experienced players fall into is relying on what's comfortable. I know that I, for one, have a few different runs, inversions, scales which feel very natural and, as such, I tend to play them a lot (which makes them feel even more natural which makes me play them even more...) Obviously, this is no way to increase general proficiency and, as such, I have to occasionally find some exercises which feel counterintuitive and challenge myself a bit.

Here are a couple of really tricky runs from Zappa's Lumpy Gravy. Click for larger versions.

Exercise 1:
from "Duodenum"
Repeat as often as possible


Exercise 2:
from "Oh No"
Play as cleanly as possible

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home