Sunday, May 08, 2005

Ah-Leu-Cha - Example in Jazz Conversation

I love this song! I've been spending a lot of time with this song recently. I've written an arrangement for Ah-Leu-Cha using 2 guitars and congas. My original attraction to it was the controlled chaos - the tempest in a teapot - that is the song's head. As I learned it, though, the genius behind the chaos started coming through.

The trumpet and tenor are having an argument. The trumpet is the level-headed one, making its points in regular intervals in a very stayed manner, and always gets the last word. The tenor is emphatic, energetic, and even occasionally mocking, but remains quiet for the 8 bar bridge when the trumpet has its say.

Even the chord changes are conversational. At the heart of the chord changes is the progression of :

A ii m7 (3 bars)- V 7b9 (1 bar) - I maj7 (4 bars)
B III 7 (2 bars) - VI 7 (2 bars) - II 7 (2 bars) - V 7 (2 bars)
form: AABA

In other words: 3 bars of "huh?" - 1 bar of "but..." and 4 bars of "oh!" Then the B section is an exploration of a tangential topics (2 bars "what if.." 2 bars "but then.." 2 bars "it could.." 2 bars "perhaps..") then back to "huh?"

If you're interested in my arrangement - click on the image:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home